Thursday, September 6, 2012

Garden, RIP

Our garden is almost gone.  Sure sign that a) fall is coming and b) I shouldn't make agriculture my day job yet.

Our pumpkins looked like this before we left for a roadtrip/vacation two weeks ago.


Big, beautiful flowers dotted the vine climbing up the old, rickety privacy fence.


With our first (only?) fall fruit happily hammocked at the top where I thought it'd be safe from pumpkin predators.  (Ha!)  


It was getting pretty big up there!  

But when we got back the vine was dead and the pumpkin had some kind of worm in it.  Vine borers perhaps?  Sigh.  Nature was not working with me on this one.  (no pictures...but it was ugly.)


We do have some honey dew melons growing...but I'm not holding my breath.  And the tomatoes are lost to caterpillars and deadish leaves.  


Don't let the apparent abundance of tomatoes fool you.  They've likely all been half eaten.  I'm in the process of cutting the plants back but can't quite commit.


On the bright side: I did do well with herbs this year - and got a ton of black cherry tomatoes early in the summer (and enough romas to make sauce for one calzone meal).  

And I'm grateful for the slight bit of experience this gave me.  And the activity for the kids since they helped me water and pick and weed the tomatoes.  

So take that bugs and plant diseases!  I'm counting this as a life lesson WIN.  

And next year I'm making pumpkin pie. (I'm coming for you, vine borer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!