Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Mac and cheese

Does this look gross? I think that because I've eaten it (and love it) my perspective is a little skewed. The photos also confirm that I'm not a food photographer. But...maybe if I just Instagram those shots...?

Anyway...

I cooked up a pumpkin recently and was locked in a staring match with the leftovers when I remembered how much I love putting a couple tablespoons of the purée (or any squash purée actually) into store bought macaroni and cheese (we're partial to the white cheddar Trader Joe's box, fyi).

The pumpkin gives the sauce that slightly neon orange glow that feels so familiar and the taste is so subtle that no one notices. I think it actually gives it a nice rich flavor.

Anyway...my plan is to freeze up some ice cube trays full of leftover pumpkin so that I can just throw a few cubes in whenever I make pasta. Sneaky and delicious.

Actually not so sneaky since the kids help me cook and I also put in three pounds of frozen vegetables...but they're too young to know any better so I'm taking advantage of this window of time by defining 'normal' for them.

And normal is pumpkin purée. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!