Thursday, January 7, 2010

Quotidian


This is where I write an essay about dailyness.  Except that I have no essay in my head that is willing to come forth and be put on paper.  It might be something about the blog being public - and, in theory, accessible by the world.  My words have stage fright - rooted in a historical distaste for writing (my own writing that is...my words have no problem with other people's writing).  

Oh essay.  Why do you insist on holing up in some deep brain crevasse,  just beyond the reach of logical, flowing thought?  I feel like I have to come up there with some nice treat to gently lure you from your hiding spot.  Come here little writing neurons...it's ok.  Look!  A cookie!  

I guess that's why I started this challenge as a New Year's resolution.  One essay a week.  Based on a random word from the dictionary.  No cookie reward built in but maybe I can work something out.  Blogging makes it more accessible to Jon, my motivation, and adds that slight edge of peer accountability, even if imagined.  

And weekly is manageable, right?  I would love to make it a daily challenge but figured I start with something that might actually happen.  Plus, a true daily is a long shot.  I highly doubt blogging would ever fall in the true daily category.  Even with cookies.  

After all, the list of things that I do daily, sans fail, is pretty short.  Let's call it manageable.  Kiss Owen, eat, pray, sleep, (I wish I could say kiss Jon but there is that occasional day when, unfortunately, I don't remember him leaving before I wake up and he's back after midnight) feed Owen, brush AND floss (I loooove flossing), change a diaper or twelve.  See, short and manageable.  I will definitely do those things and so I can feel like I accomplished my necessary tasks every day.  Essay writing will, more than likely, never be considered an essential daily function and so will never appear on this list.

Then there is the "daily minus the occasional" which includes the above mentioned kiss of Jon, reading the Bible, washing dishes (occasionally the dish fairy gets to them before I do), checking email...this one goes on a little longer.  There is potential for essay writing to fall here.  If I get paid.

The "slightly more than weekly" category is where I do things like shower, leave the house, respond to emails, etc.  Lots of room to fit things in here.  Even more room in all categories below, the weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, yearly etc.

A place for everything and it's all about priorities.  Which are currently getting a bit of a shakeup.  A new decade makeover.  An ordained adjustment.  The result of which will be a new and improved me.  With less writing shyness.  

So look for blogging to be at least weekly.  Although if you're more interested in Owen than in my random word essay - feel free to skip.  Owen posts should be bi-weekly at least.  He's my big daily right now.

Oh, look.  Week 1 is already done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!