Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thoughts on Fatherhood: New Dad Syndrome

Yep, I've got it pretty bad.  From the first moment I laid eyes on our little Owen, something happened inside.  I heard a lot of people say the same thing but it never really hit home the dramatic effect having your own child has.  In fact, the first time I laid eyes on him I couldn't think for about 1 minute.  My mind went blank... like I was rebooting... and when I came back 'online', things were different.

I often sit up with him at night and just watch him sleep... praying silently over him... for protection, for grace, for wisdom, for strength to live in these times... and I'm overcome with this great sense of love, responsibility and joy.  He has so much in front of him... great joy, probably some pain, victories and defeats... every possible curve ball that life can throw at you, I'm sure.

But I also know that I'm going to be there with him through it all.  To pick him up, dust him off, give him a solid pep talk... or a stern talking-to when necessary.  But I'll be there for him... make no mistake about it.  

No one can tell you what it means to be a father... words don't do it justice.  But my boy will know he has a father... both here on earth and one in heaven.  I will show him both.

So glad he's finally here!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Jon nice post. Fatherhood is an amazing journey! Our oldest just turned 2 yesterday and while I can't believe how fast she is growing up, at the same time I am aware that I am just scratching the surface of fatherhood...
    Congrats on your son!

    Brian Snow

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post by you Jon made me cry.You are so eloquent with your words.I eperienced the same thing feeling with each of my children. Your honesty in your words was just beautiful. Thank you Jon and Thank your wife for being so brave and wonderful. Thank you for sharing your world.
    Best wishes and prayers to you,
    Christy Bauer

    ReplyDelete

Hi there!