Monday, July 12, 2010

The Baltimore Zoo


I was disappointed that we never got the chance to visit the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore while we lived so close.  We were preoccupied and Owen was perhaps a bit young to appreciate the animals.  But when my parents suggested the Zoo as a fun mid-way day trip I jumped at the chance.We had a great time.  

If you live close enough to drive and you have kids definitely consider it.  The zoo is the third oldest in the country but it is beautiful and modern.  There are quiet (ok...we did go on a weekday) trails winding through the forest and it seems like we were always turning the corner to find another amazing animal RIGHT THERE.   The first hour was filled with one of us exclaiming..."look at over there!"  

Owen was excited but I think the adults were the ones who had the most fun.

Here are a few shots of the day.  More will be posted during the week - my favorite is of the rhinos - so check back tomorrow.

I cropped my pasty legs out of this because, really, no one needs to see that.  Not even me.  The only party missing is Gina...who was taking the picture.  She'll appear later.  Trust me that you don't want to miss THOSE pictures.

We started off with some super friendly prairie dogs.  They were little charmers and certainly not afraid to show off for the camera.  We all watched this little one roll around to cool off in his dusty lounge for quite a bit before deciding to head to the larger game.

This is one of my favorites.  We didn't actually get to see the lions - who were indoors when we passed - but Owen probably thought this was good enough.

Cute mom.  On the tram to the 'actual' animal part.  We want the baby elephant!


There were some incredibly scenic areas.  So peaceful with the slight breeze  - it was easy to forget that we were in downtown Baltimore.

Tomorrow I'll post up the African Trek portion of our trip.  Rhinos and Giraffes(!!) and Elephants, oh my!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!