Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I try to be very conscious about 'parenting' Everly.

It can be so easy to put her in a holding pattern of sorts while I deal with Owen or dishes or laundry or emails or the phone or, or, or. I'm sure parents of two or more children can relate. Heck, parents of one child can probably relate. You get so used to the infant stage when they really just need to sleep, eat, and cuddle a little.

But she's not an infant any more. She's picking up more and more about the world around her. She's engaging in things and interacting with people and developing a personality. Cue the sponge stage, right?

And, even though she's an 'easy' baby I can't abuse her personality. I've been sensing the need to invest more in her. To take the time to look her in the eyes and connect with her. To read the books to her and play in the mirror with her and sing the songs to her and pray with her.

It's another delicate balance with Owen around but one that is easy to find the edge of when I let God do the directing.

It's such a privilege to steward this little life and help it unfold.

While we were in Trinidad Owen attended a summer camp led by one of the women in church. It was a great experience for everyone but especially nice for Everly and me. We had hours of one-on-one time every day! I was deep in my master's program when Owen was 8 months old so really, I've never had mama-baby time like that. This age is just intense fun and those couple days were like a little summer vacation gift for us.

A little extra bonus - as if being on a tropical island for two weeks wasn't enough. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on that whole God directed thing myself. I always feel like I have to make a choice between two things that are both important, so when Farid talked about God not being conflicted it really struck a nerve.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there!