Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Music


“The end of a melody is not its goal; but nonetheless, if the melody had not reached its end it would not have reached its goal either." Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow.

You know...one of the upsides to having a horrible memory (which may be getting worse...I can't remember) is that everything always feels so fresh.  And yet not.  It's as if I've heard everything before but still manage to be genuinely awed by the most obvious of the obvious.

Like this quote.  Comparing life to a musical movement must certainly be cliche.  But...wow.

Sure...life needs a destination in order for it to be a journey. But the journey is the music. That just makes life feel beautiful, doesn't it?

What kind of music is my life at this point? Interestingly...I might be able to take a guess by what actual music I spend my time listening to (and I don't mean toddler jams, obviously).  FYI at this point it's actually mostly worship, (or some kind of upbeat big band type love song).

Every fiber of me wants this life to be the most amazing music...a song that brings the listener to tears, takes them on journeys, lifts their spirits, gets them exited and ignites passion.  I'm assuming that it will be rather comedic as well...with plenty of dance worthy sections (the slide around on the kitchen floor in your socks type dancing).

And then, at the very end, before the last note stops vibrating (triumphantly, of course...no tragedy here) I want the standing ovation. I want that "WELL DONE! Nicely played." (Encore?)

The goal reached, in the playing and in the ending.

Hmmm...

It all just makes me desire deliberate, conscious gracefulness in how I conduct myself, how I treat others, how I contribute.  If somewhere...in a Truman Show type reality...someone is sitting at a keyboard, watching my life and composing a tune based on what they see - I think they'd have fun coming up with catchy sounds to match what's going on.

"Suspense and laughter around every corner in this one!" they'd say.  "What an unusual combo!" dun-dun-duuuuuunnnnn...




Totally applicable photos from Christmas Eve.  Ever is obviously pondering my wise words while gazing in the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!