Monday, November 23, 2009

Mommy much?

Usually after I finish an exam or a paper I zone out a bit - kind of like eating a big bowl of ice cream right after you finish a long run.  Still not good for you but you feel more justified doing it.  Life is a process people...I'm working on it. 

Usually this means I catch up on The Office (Jim and Pam!) or cyber stalk my friends on facebook.  The other day I was reading a blog entry - post paper writing - and I hit the "next blog" arrow up at the top.  It takes you to a random blog somewhere on the vast interweb - like a mini surprise!

Somehow it wasn't so surprising that I hit about 20 mommy blogs in a row.  You know, the ones titled "The XXXX family - fun and frolicking in fabulous Florida!" which have thousands of pictures of the kids and the dog, family updates, a Christmas photo, random musings on parenthood, links to their outdated webpages, videos of their son taking his first steps...wait a second.  

Am I a mommy blog???  (Jon does still post occasionally, but I'm thinking of highlighting his sections as a featured guest.  Is that a challenge?  Hmmmm.)

I think the answer is yes which isn't really a bad thing.  We did start this blog as an update mechanism so our far away family would feel more in the loop.

BUT - a little bit of spice doesn't hurt anything.

So, in an attempt to up the piquancy, I've identified characteristics from other mom-written blogs that might help.  Let's see how we measure up to the top five:

1) They are usually crafty, creative, and have great tips (I created our semi-finished header.  Does that count?)
2) They get to the point and don't blab.  (uh, whoops)
3) They contain interesting, thought provoking, witty essays. (Come back Jon!)
4) They feature awesome, artsy photos of adorable families,  exotic locals, fun ideas (Got adorable down pat.)
5) They post regularly. (no comment)

On the spicy scale I give HP View a mild to bland rating.

Never fear, however!  Gina's mystery mexican nights have already livened up life around our little abode!  Get ready to party because the chile train is coming!  

(total inside joke - woowoo!)



1 comment:

  1. oh emily, I completely remember the first time i realized i was a "mommy blogger" (why do i loathe that title so?)...and i also am inconsistent (at best) at posting regularly. ultimately i keep going because i am reducing the distance between us and far away family and friends, and i create keepsake books for the kids from their monthly posts...and i know i enjoy checking in on other family and friends via their blogs :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there!