Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Back 40




A few weeks ago Owen and I planted a few variaties of herbs for our back-deck garden attempt. It's more a learning experience than anything, for him and me. That's what I tell myself whenever the little delicate starter cups get knocked over or spilled. I say 'whenever' because this has become a frequent occurrence. I'll be surprised if anything grows to harvestability.

But I'm using it as a chance to talk to Owen about how plants grow. He'll see the pots and proudly declare that a tiny seed grows into a MIGHDY TWEE! I'm working on drawing parallels between that tree and his little life and spirit. It doesn't always feel like he understands that obedience, worship and all the other things that go into personal watered-ness are as crucial to his development as water and sun are to plants - but I know that it's sinking in, somewhere. Children just understand. (That and I rely heavily on grace to impart truths beyond my poor teaching skills.)

I'm also learning. Mostly that starting an herb garden is kind of expensive. Seeds are cheap but dirt and planters are kinda more than I figured. We'll probably break even next year. I'm taking this year as a bit more of a toe dip into 'real' gardening. (Real = more work than putting a few tomato plants in the backyard.) Next year I'm planning on becoming these people (my new favorite blog) and fulfilling my dream of living on a small farm and making catsup from my own garden.

Sigh, one day.

Until then I'll try my best to keep the one spindly little garlic chive plant from getting pulled out or overwatered, or swept off the porch, or smelled to death.

You can do it little sprout!!! We're all pulling for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!