Friday, June 10, 2011

Hair brained theory.

deep thinker

So, I have this theory.

I have lots of theories, actually. Mostly I try to keep them in my head, I think because I often feel like they'd just end up a sermon for the choir. But this one managed to escape. It's not a sermon though. Just some loose thoughts that have been going around and around in my head. Little pieces of grit that keep bugging me. Caught just under my skin. Maybe writing it out will help me figure out if this is really what's been pestering me.

Anyway...

More and more my eyes are being opened to how much stuff we, as a nation, have. I've been to a couple places around the world where people have nothing. Literally nothing. Mud or cardboard hut nothing. And it's impacting and jarring and sickening when you get back home and are surrounded by air conditioners and electricity that turns on with a flick of my finger. Ever single time.

Yet somehow, all of that becomes normal again.

Today I thought about this as I was washing dishes. Clear, pure, drinkable water gushed out of the faucet and down the drain while I scrubbed a dish. The feeling of excess was disturbing in that moment.

But that's not what my theory is about. Kind of. But not.

I guess that our taken-for-granted excesses naturally extend to our children. We have so much stuff. The kids have so much stuff.

It's hard for me to look at some of the colorful toys and chairs and bouncers that Everly has for too long. I start to feel cluttered and my brain goes a little crazy. Maybe I have a sensitive brain or something but it feels like I'm looking at one of those Magic Eye posters sometimes. If I just squint, or relax my eyes, or cross my eyes, or look out of the corner of my eye...whatever it is you have to do...I'll see the hidden image. But when you're not trying to see the image it just looks busy. And loud. And it starts to hurt my head.

I wonder if maybe it feels like that for babies too.

I know 'they' say that babies are stimulated by bright colors and blocky patterns. But do we have to stimulate them every single second? Is that really that crucial for their future learning and development? Or that helpful?

Or, maybe, is it creating cranky, hyper children with short-attention spans who need constant color and movement and sound for something to keep their focus.

Am I training my children from birth to be over-stimulated?

If I feel tired from looking at all this clown-like gear all day then what is it doing to Ever?

Awhile ago I started boxing up a portion of Owen's toys and rotating them in and out of use. It kept the mess down. But something happened and all of them ended up out at one point.

It was chaos. Too many toys seemed to make him agitated. He was distracted and acted out more than normal. I boxed up a bunch and we do regular pick-ups during the day now. Maybe it helped or maybe he was just teething or maybe I feel better with less mess. Whatever. I see a difference.

So my theory is this: more toys, more color, more music, more lights and flashing, more puzzles, more books, more education mobiles, more chairs and rattles and play kitchens, more games and more primary colors won't necessarily result in a smarter, more well adjusted child (no matter what the toy manufactures advertise). It might actually be harmful.

Maybe all those toys and things are just stuff. Not magic stuff. Not even developmental stuff.

Just stuff.

Maybe it's actually a case of less being more.

What do other people think?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! As a former teacher at a Montessori school, I can't help thinking about the role of a child's physical surroundings in contributing to his/her holistic well-being. In Montessori theory, simplicity, beauty and functionality all help create a calm environment ripe for exploration and concentration. Carefully organized objects (usually made of natural materials), lots of open space. As you pointed out, it's not just about cognitive development -- there are social and economic and ethical dimensions to the objects that fill our lives. I don't know yet how it will translate when I have children of my own, but it's definitely something I want to be deliberate about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how this is to rattle around in your head, the same thoughts would enter my mind with Taylor and her "stuff", the crap this one child had was enough for an entire African village to play with. We are definitely a nation of too much and it would be glaringly apparent when I lived and visited other places which were not nearly as destitute as the places you have been. My solution was to go through her stuff once or twice a year and assemble the things she had out grown, didn't play with and such and donate it to a children's hospital, aid society and now where I work people will collect things and take them to orphanages when they travel ( just recently we donated at least 20 pairs of shoes and 2 or 3 bags of clothes to a guy going to Ecuador). While a small act I'm sure they were put to better use than sitting in my closet. We may be able to put ac on when it's hot, fresh water to bath, cook and clean, buy anything our heart's desire and can become jaded by it quickly but we are blessed to not have to watch our children starve, be afraid they will die of a mosquito bite, have access to medication when they are sick, are not denied education and have warm beds to sleep in. Less is defintely better and exceedingly rare to find so empower them to with the knowledge and a heart filled with love and compassion and pray their eyes never become blind to what they have. Hopefully someday they will give their own shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there!