Saturday, March 17, 2012

Snack time



The other day I took the kids to the zoo.  It really was one of those incredible days that you want to remember forever.  Both kids were so well behaved.  The weather was perfect.  The animals were out and exotic as usual.  I remembered to pack snacks and diapers AND drinks for once.  I get happy just thinking about the day.

As we were leaving I stopped to take it all in and couldn't believe that THIS IS MY JOB.  

It's my job to go to the zoo and talk about animals with a captive (and captivated) audience.

It's my job to hold hands and jump across the lilly pads in the kid section.

It's my job to come up with fun snacks.

It's my job to teach Owen that good manners means holding the door for someone who needs help (say, is pushing a big stroller) and to have him practice with me.

It's my job to sing silly songs and laugh at silly jokes and make googly eyes at little babies.

Seriously?  It's like I get to be a kid again...only much wiser and more aware.  And with driving privileges (yes!).  

Maybe it's more that I get to appreciate what it means to be a kid.  With the added bonus of getting to steer Owen and Ever through those first time experiences.  And share those snacks, of course (double bonus!).

Not a bad way to kill 8 hours a day.  Plus or minus a few.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!