Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Treasure Hunt


Owen with the treasure.  
Jon beat me to the punch with this one - he had a post on facebook before they had even found the cache!  (They don't call him a social media evangelist for nothing.)

The kids were overtired this evening.  Short naps and lots of playing meant shorter fuses than normal.  We needed a distraction.  

I knew about geocaching from way back when I was earning my geography degree.  It's what all nerdy gps users do on weekends.   In hindsight it seems strange that I hadn't tried it before. Especially since a favorite part of my work job had an oddly similar description - off road adventures collecting far flung gps data.  It should have been right up my Lat/Long.

I convinced the family that a little adventure was just what we all needed and we set out to find our first cache - only a quick half mile from our house near a familiar park.

It was a little trickier than we planned for.  I guess the clue "be careful of the thorns" should have indicated that the cache might not be right next to the paved trail.  Owen and Jon tromped through the woods while Everly and I waited for news by the path.  

It was a pretty fun experience.  What little boy doesn't love a good treasure hunt in the woods?  It will be a fun challenge to see how many caches we can find this summer with the kids.  With over 500 hidden within 10 miles of our house...we have plenty of options.  

Interested in your own adventure? Check out the geocaching site here!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!