Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mango, banana, pineapple, orange popsciles



We are BIG popsicle fans here. By 'we' I mean me...and I'm assimilating Owen.

We finally replaced our broken popsicle molds and I was so excited to start freezing. I thought I'd just go with the usual suspect flavor - lemonade. However, a shortage at TJs left me bummed and waiting.

Then Owen got a bad case of diaper rash and I started looking for ways to incorporate yogurt into his diet, thinking it might help. So I mixed up some plain yogurt with a bit of fruit juice, froze it, and voila! Yogurt pops.

They were ok...not stellar. Jon ate a few bites of one and gave it to me to finish. His face was so sadly disappointed during those few nibbles. It's hard to expect something syrupy sweet and get a tangy mouthful instead. (which Owen and I like but, eh, it's not for everyone.)

These popsicles are super awesome though. I've stumbled onto my new favorite. Yesterday I was looking for a way to use a slightly overripe mango and banana sitting in the fruit bowl. This is what I came up with.

1 ripe or overripe mango - make sure to squeeze at much juice out of the stone as possible.
1 orange or juice of 1 orange.
1 slightly overripe banana
2 cups of frozen pineapple chunks

Blend until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds. (makes about 10-12) Freeze. Wait impatiently. Yum.

You could also freeze into cups and stick a spoon for a handle (in once they get slushy so the spoon will stay straight while it finishes freezing).

I also threw in one cup of plain yogurt to a second batch...we'll see how those come out. You could stretch it with some water or extra juice as well.

Might be my new summer way to eat fruit. I love that it's the actual fruit...not just the juice. Gotta get that fiber!

Anyone else have any popsicle combo ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!