Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Tribute Week - Highpoint 3

Slight aside:  Raining, raining, raining, raining, raining.  It's weeks like these when you wonder why our founding fathers decided to build DC on a swamp.

This week I'm writing five short tributes to endearing aspects of this quirky, charming little apartment that we've called home.  Five little things that we will miss so much.  Next week I'll do a series of things that we are so looking forward to in Baltimore - so stay tuned!

3) The Joy of Joya

Joya started off as our landlady and ended up family.  In all seriousness, she is one of the most thoughtful, generous, loving people that we have met and probably the reason I will most miss living here. 

We have formed a little tribe here: Joya, the kittens, Bijou (while she was still with us), Owen, Jon and me.  We look out for each other, have meals together, go to the store for each other, talk and laugh together.  

Joya was so excited for us when Owen was born.  She made a sign to welcome him home and had it waiting for us on the front door.  I left that sign up for three months because it made me so happy.  

Owen loves Joya.  He gives her the biggest wide-open-mouth smiles.  She, in turn, sings "hush little baby" to him and makes him laugh.  

We have absolutely adored Joya.  We've loved listening to stories of her past, we've loved sharing meals with her, we've loved meeting her family, being able to help when she's sick, seeing her everyday...we've loved being accepted as a part of her family.  We've looked out for each other and I will miss that so much.  Thinking of leaving Joya is the one thing that starts those tears dropping.  

But, as we've told her, we might be moving out, but she can't get rid of us.  We'll be back for visits.  And then we'll chat and she'll watch Owen grow and it will be like old times.

Maybe I'll even get her to teach me to knit like I've been wanting for 5 years now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!