Monday, June 8, 2009

Tribute Week - Highpoint

The boy is asleep, Jon's playing hockey, and the house is finally quiet - minus the ever present hum of the dehumidifier.  Summery weather plus basement apartment equals soggy living quarters.  After five summers of this though, it's become a homey sound, kind of a soothing white noise.  

This week I'm writing five short tributes to endearing aspects of this damp, quirky, charming little apartment that we've called home.  Five little things that we will miss so much.  Next week I'll do a series of things that we are so looking forward to in Baltimore - so stay tuned!

1) The trails.  

We are fortune to be located steps away from two amazing trails - and just a short hop to several more hiking and jogging paths.  

The C&O Canal towpath is right outside our door.  It is an absolutely stunning trail that runs from Georgetown, 184 miles north into Ohio.  I have been on that trail literally hundreds of times.  I trained for the Chicago marathon on it - a few times Jon drove me up north (very) early in the morning and dropped me off to run the 13 or 15 miles home.  I've seen more deer, beavers, birds, turtles, fish, snakes, geese, etc on the trail than anywhere else around here.  I've waddled along it while very pregnant last winter and taken Owen for walks along it every week.  
If you visit DC it should definitely be a stop on the tour.  Drive up to walk along the trail near Great Falls - or just pick it up in Georgetown and walk until  you can't see the city (not far - about 500 feet should do it!).  

Another favorite trail - seen on many, many bike rides and training runs, is the Capital Crescent trail.  It branches off the C&O canal about a mile from our house and is a beautiful paved path that heads up into Maryland.  I promised myself that next time I'm training for a long run we will come back here and do the C&O, Capital Crescent, Rock Creek Park loop again.  Breathtaking - and not just because of the running.

Some of my favorite C&O pictures (I have enough to fill a whole album)


Two steps the other direction out our door is the Potomac Heritage Trail.  It's a 11 mile stretch of hiking trail that we are pretty much smack in the middle of.  Jon and I have hiked south all the way to Roosevelt Island, and just a little bit northward - it's one regret I have - not finishing the north leg.  It's a pretty rugged trail but has some incredible views of the river and the winding little streams that feed it.  

Here is a view of the north hike...

And the south one.


There are a whole series of little trails that run through parks along the river.  They have made for some wonderful trips with friends.  Here is a group of us a Turkey Run park.  

I thought of putting a little poem here but I realize that my words couldn't capture how my life has been enriched by the opportunity to wander through such vivid landscapes.  So, so many silent and spoken prayers have gone up that it's become second nature to converse with God the moment my foot leaves pavement.  How could I not feel a little twinge at leaving that?  

Anyone know a good trail mover?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there!